Campus is a long-time T-STEM academy. Last year, students in advanced classes were not cohorted. This year, no students are cohorted. The STEM principal and coordinator do not appear to be able to make any changes, so it is difficult to tell if they have a theory of change. Principal continues to state that they may not be T-STEM next year.
- Support the new engineering teacher
- Attempt to get new math teachers (female engineers) involved in STEM to attract more girls
- Create more after school and summer opportunities
- Capitalize on the committees that the assistant principal sits on at two of the middle schools.
Within the STEM classes, this campus offers many opportunities for real student engagement in engineering.
This was very difficult to ascertain.
- Secure funding for summer bridge.
- Discuss the shift in certifications for accountability.
- Get resources for struggling teachers.
This campus has been significantly challenged by their administration and the structure of the district.
- The academy students are only together during their engineering classes. There is no resource.
- Even though teachers are officially identified as STEM academy teachers, in reality, they do not actually teach STEM in the core classes. Principal reports that there is no remedy for this.
- The STEM academy has no money for travel. Therefore they do not participate in any network-wide events. Last year, they called the district to try to get funds for travel. Funding was denied.
- The funder of summer bridge has pulled their funding from the district. No money has been budgeted for any network events. The academy has no budget and does not expect (or want to) provide summer bridge.
Students may take AP courses.
This coming year, the campus does not believe they will be able to offer summer bridge due to funding. However the principal and STEM director did not seem to be inclined to push to find funding as the teachers would be paid to run the summer bridge.
University of Texas - offers some support for projects. In 18-19, the STEM academy will work with UT on a Quantum Computing project along with the New Tech academy.
ACC - dual credit; as this is not coordinated by the school, no particular support was noted.
Project Lead the Way (PLTW) – Engineering Majors - three pathways
AE – Aerospace Engineering Major
CEA – Civil Engineering & Architecture Major
CIM – Computer Integrated Manufacturing Major
- Concepts of Engineering and Technology
- Digital Electronics
- cientific Research & Design – Rockets
- Engineering Design & Development
Biomed Pathway - one pathway
- Principles of Biomedical
- Human Body Systems
- Medical Interventions
- Biomedical Innovation
Campus does not report any particular workforce or industry partnerships. They might be able to build some during their all campus advisory.