Harmony Public Schools is a high performing K-12 college-preparatory charter school network focusing on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). Harmony Public Schools is an open-enrollment, public charter school network free to all students living in their respective and surrounding school district. Harmony Public Schools continually strives toward maintaining high academic standards that equip our students to succeed in industries of the future.
• High Expectations: Every student will learn and grow into a successful and productive citizen.
• Dedicated Staff: We do whatever it takes to help our students reach their goals.
• Working Together: Our students, parents, and staff work in harmony to create a strong community of success.
• Character Matters: We guide our students to value integrity, show respect, and be responsible.
• STEM for All: Every student will graduate with a strong understanding and appreciation of STEM and how it connects to the real world.
Taking action. Shaping the future. Strive towards maintaining the high academic standards that will powerfully propel students into the 21st century. Diligently work to mold responsive, productive, and civic-minded individuals.
1.2.B Develops an academy Leadership Team and identifies the internal role each member will play---The academy has established a strong and structured Design Team.
2.2.C Creates a professional learning community environment of collaboration, teaming and high expectations---The academy has weekly scheduled content, department, and grade level PLCs.
3.3.A Develops and implements systemic, tiered strategies for student support and retention---The academy has enrichment/acceleration and remediation/intervention student support programs in place.
3.1.A Develop a recruitment plan for students into the new academy to build up enrollment.
4.1.A Recruit and select highly qualified secondary and post-secondary faculty.
4.2.A Develop a Professional Development Plan for a sustained PD model of continuous learning.
4.2.A The academy would benefit from professional development for current technology hardware and software for both teachers and students. In a brand new facility with new staff and new students, training on iPads, Chrome Books, Smart Boards and other technology is necessary.
The greatest challenge was getting the new facility ready for August to begin classes. Furniture had not arrived and some sections of the building had not been completed in early August. New teachers had to participate in Harmony model training and parent orientations had to be held. The academy opened its doors on time to commence a new academic year but a lot of hard work and effort was made to get everything ready.
Robotics Club---FTC and FLL Yearbook Student Council
Science Olympiad---MS and HS Special Olympics STEM Ambassadors
Math Counts Solar Car
Urban Gardening Club National Honor Society
Advanced Research Society National Junior Honor Society
1. The academy has an MOU with Texas Southmost College for dual credit/dual enrollment. It does not use the IHE's facilities.
2. The academy has an MOU with Lone Star College for online dual enrollment and to certify its Adjunct Instructors.
3. The academy has an MOU with the University of Texas Brownsville for local dual enrollment and online program.
The academy offers the three following purposeful and effective Program Pathways to its students:
1. Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Biomedical---All Career & Technology Education courses
2. Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Engineering---All Career & Technology Education courses
3. Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Computer Science
The academy has established strong partnerships with the following businesses that provide a high level of support:
1. PESA---This import/export printing company makes monetary donations to the academy and participates as Career Day speakers and Science Fair judges.
2. TEX-US---The employees of this local substation company, that fixes generators and wind fans, serve on the STEM Advisory Board, the Capstone Projects panel of judges and donate funds.
3. Westlake Dentistry---The employees serve on the STEM Advisory Board, provide internships, and participate as Career Day speakers.