Dr. Dennis D. Cantu ECHS is committed to providing its ECHS students academic support by having a personalized learning environment. It is chaning from a magnet program to and ECHS enrolling a very specific targeted population.
Its goal is to offer advanced academic courses, and specialized training in health science. Students will have the opportunity for vocational training and certification, and early enrollment/dual credit college opportunities. This ECHS will be uniquely designed to help students understand the concepts and skills associated with the health sciences and to increase students’ awareness of health-related careers.
- Recruitment and Identification policies and procedures are in place to ensure target population is recruited . Procedures in place to reach out to the target population as they move from a magnet school to an ECHS.
- Written admission policy and enrollment application in place.
- They are being reviewed and refined already for next year. Increased use of website.
- Relationship with IHE and ISD District Office. They are open, and collaborate. They share data and information on staffing, scheduling and school design. Strong ECHS Director that is focused on implementation and what is best for kids
- Leadership meetings are held regularly, minutes are taken. Presentations are made to the Board of Trustees monthly.
Nursing Assistant Certificate
Emergency Medical Technician Certificate
1. Assistance with the transition to the 18-19 Blueprint.
2. Assistance with TSIA support ( Best practices, strategies, resources)
3. Continue with suggestions, updates, recommendations, best practices for continued growth
Networking with other ECHS
Examples of products that have been successful
TSIA curriculum for Summer Bridge
Professional Development specific for Staff on College and Career Readiness Standards
- Building systems that will support Benchmarks and installing structures that will be productive
- Bring in a team especially technology to help create the structures ( data files)
- Not assuming that everyone one knows their roles and responsibilities.
- Working with District for personnel that is needed
- Coordinating MOU and application
- Insuring that everyone understands the provisions of ECHS
- Reviewing the MOU
- Reviewing the application
Getting to know the College and Career Readiness Standards.
District provided funding for time for a teacher to be the campus tech. Will provide technical assistance as well as provide teachers with technology training.
In the future they will work with CTE Director to create an advisory board to meet the needs of the students.
them. They have a dedicated ECHSl counselor on campus. She is readily available to all students of the Early College High School to address their needs.
Dr. Dennis D. Cantu Early College High School will also promote community service for students through clubs and organizations such as student council and Health Occupational Students of America (HOSA). The students will also be encouraged to participate in local organizations such as Area Health Education Center (AHEC) and other organizations. Students are encouraged to participate in at least one organization.
The ECHS counselor has attended training at IHE and is able to provide Academic Counseling. She knows her students and their needs. She meets with the IHE Liaison and the IHE Academic Counselors. Students are also be encouraged to participate in UIL academics and athletics. Students will also be able to participate in existing clubs and organizations at Martin High School such as National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, Science Club, etc. New clubs and organizations will be created as needed to meet student interests. They bought the students planners in support of building college readiness study skills.
College and Career readiness, curriculum strategies, TSI alignment are topics for future PDs.
At this time the teachers mentor their students as well as the counselor.
New clubs and organizations will be created as needed to meet student interests.
Strong relationship with Laredo Community College. Director of Dual Enrollment plays a major part of the Leadership Team. IHE held Summer Bridge/Boot Camp on their campus with their college staff. Students were provide their IDs and have access to activities and facilities on campus. Director is working on providing more opportunities for the students to attend campus activities. They attended a play on IHE campus. Freshman do not have transportation to get to the college. ECHS has to provide the transportation.
They have a strong crosswalk and ECHS will provide effective program pathways.The endorsements that will be offered at Dr. Dennis D. Cantu Early College High School will be STEM and Public Services. Students will be given the opportunity to obtain an Associates Degree in Science with a concentration on Pre-Professional Programs in Health Science. Students will also have the opportunity to begin or complete a Health Science technical certificate. Within four years, students will be able to obtain a high school diploma and an Associates Degree in Science with a concentration on Pre-Med, and begin or complete a Health Science technical certificate.
At this time they have not established workforce/industry partnerships but they will reach out to certain medical industries to support their students in the future. Those relationships have already been established because they have been a Medical /Health Service Magnet school.