Early College High Schools (ECHS) are innovative high schools that allow students least likely to attend college an opportunity to earn a high school diploma and 60 college credit hours.
- Benchmark 1: Recruitment of Target Population for ECHS. To apply and be considered for enrollment into the ECHS, students must be an 8th grader
going into the 9th grade. Student must reside within the SFDRCISD attendance zone. Students are selected based on a short application process. A cohort of 120 students is selected in the spring of the previous year of enrollment. Principal, Counselor, and support staff will go to Del Rio Middle School and present the benefits of applying to ECHS to 8th grade staff, parents and students. Parent nights detailing information and question/answer sessions will also be provided to families along with brochures stating course sequence, benefits, and requirements for enrolling at the ECHS. Application and deadlines will be provided at this time as well. Families will also be informed of extra-curricular activities students may participate in or restrictions, if any.
- Benchmark 3: P-16 Leadership Initiative - A strong partnership between Del Rio ECHS and Southwest Texas Junior College. The SFDRCISD/SWTJC team is in constant communication. Steering Committee meetings are scheduled twice a year and agenda consists of topics such as,ECHS courses, TSI testing, Adjunct Faculty, Degree Plans, Services available to students thru SWTJC, tours, grades, FERPA, registration, rosters, contracts and fees, and public relations. Everyone in the committee and in the community is excited about the opportunities that are being offered and are interested in the program for their children. The efforts of the IHE to build relationships with our students and staff have contributed to our first year and second year successes!
American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences Pre Pac Education Fundamentals
Early Childhood Education
American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED
Flash CS6, Dreamweaver CS6, Photoshop CS6, Fireworks CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6
Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation Electrical Apprentice License
National Center for Construction Education Research (Building Trades, Electrical Trades,
National Automobile Technicians Excellence Foundation
Automotive Service Excellence
Use of Force in Jail Setting #3504
Telecommunications Operator #1013
National Restaurant Association
Certified Nursing Assistant
Emergency Medical Technician
Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning
Certified Pharmacy Technician
Professional Certification in Customer Service- National Retail Federation
American Welding Society SENSE
Occupational Safety & Health Administration
- Auditing of high school and college transcripts of each student
- Implementing the CIF and training of all ECHS teachers with the strategies
- Designing a capstone project plan for upcoming seniors
- Identifying an instructor to train teachers in CIF strategies
- Resources for designing and implementing a capstone project
- Creating a system to audit high school and college transcripts
- Scheduling courses for ECHS students since the Del Rio High School and the college must coordinate and collaborate to create a master schedule
- District has approved the ECHS to offer an after school course from 4:30 - 5:45 to allow the students more options within the school day schedule
School district will pay the tuition for these teachers completing the required courses to teach dual credit. SWTJC wi11 keep the ECHS Principal/ Director abreast of students in jeopardy of failing a class and provide numerical grades for the purpose of calculating district GPAs. Semester grades and grading policies are outlined in each instructor's course syllabus. ECHS personnel are responsible for advising ECHS students concerning academic progress in the course's high school component.
Students have access to all college supports and facilities at all times.
Early college high school is focused to students completing their associate degrees. Students do have the opportunity to enroll in courses at the CTE: Business and Industry; Public Services; and STEM. http://www.sfdr-cisd.org/alternative-school/career-and-technical-education/
Casa de Cultura
Sheriff's Department - toy drive
Feast of Sharing
Salvation Army - bell ringers
Working to develop a partnership with Habitat for Humanity - challenge is currently working in Mexico
Some college classes require the student to participate in service learning